College Life

I wonder if everybody loves college as much as I do? I’m so surprised at how much I have come to love Birmingham Southern. It’s not out of state. It’s not far away. What it is is wonderful. A place of great learning. A place where I’m amongst peers who also desire intelligent conversation. A place where it’s not taboo to talk about class material, current events, and your opinions about everything. My classes have seemed to bring out my strengths. I can bring out the deeper meanings of hard materials (sometimes without even truly reading it- although I know I could understand and excel greater if I always read). It’s a place where people are striving to meet their goals and everyone is studying and that’s not un-cool either – the people who talk in class and head up study sessions seemed to be looked up to, or at least considered quite smart. There are so many things to get involved in…and so many things not to get involved in. You’re considered an adult. You make your own choices. I can switch majors any time I like. That’s nice. Sorority life is fun, although sometimes quite irritating. The friends I’ve made are great. I’ve found the word “mandatory” pushes a button that no other can, except for when my stuff mysteriously is deformed and when I return, it is not where I left it or how I left it. The thing I like the most about Southern is defiantly my professors, to narrow things down, Dr. Hagen and Dr. Lester. Dr. Lester has a way of lifting students up like I’ve never seen before. He is so encouraging and kind, yet is very challenging, always plays the devil’s advocate, and intertwines his opinion in his teachings. Dr. Hagen. What can I say about her. I find that the people who don’t know her are intimidated by her and the ones that have the privilege of knowing her adore her. God has really blessed me because she actually loves me in return. (I’m not being a braggart, when I said that you so much for all the time you spend with me she said “don’t worry –I actually like you.”) haha. She can push me like I have never been pushed before. Not that she is that hard, she’s tough, but I care what she thinks so much, and she can encourage but give you a set down at the same time. She is amazing. I go to her office and talk to her for an hour! About anything. It doesn’t matter that a lot of times, we disagree. Sometimes she brings me to her side, sometimes not. I think that the challenge of her will propel me to do my best over college. Without the influence of her and Dr. Lester, I don’t think that I would be pleased with Southern at all.
Another way God has blessed me has been to allow me to clep out of so many classes. I’ll now have the ability to intern senior year without taking classes or go abroad junior year (for its entirety). I also will be working in New York City all summer. On 5th ave! Living there alone! If that is not enough, he has also blessed my relationship between my mother and I to be so much better. The only thing that I pray for unceasingly is to have another fun/meaningful relationship whether it’s dating or serious. I don’t know if it’s still “not the right time” or if I’m too picky. It’s the only thing I crave. The only thing that is missing
.

Comments