Welcome Back Dinner

Peddlers, tourists, children, and locals surrounded me as I lounged on the bench in the Santa Croce piazza Sunday afternoon. Sarah and I had changed into lounge-wear after church Sunday morning, ate a light lunch, and traversed the 7 minute walk to Santa Croce to people watch and take pictures. I thoroughly enjoyed my new 70-300mm lens, for I could get close up photos of interesting passerby and they never even realized!

After lazing in the sun for a while, we walked around the area and heard the most beautiful singer and accordionist (if that is what you'd call an accordion player)! She is from Ukraine, but sings and speaks perfect Italiano. I had to buy a cd! She sings jazzy/classical/opera music and it is fantastic. The Italiano Professor at FUA recommended that I listen to Italian music to help me learn Italiano. If I listen to a song 10 times while looking at the written lyrics, she says, then sing the song loudly, it will help my vocabulary and pronunciation greatly. She also recommended going to Italian bars (that are full of locals rather than American Bars and Discos where everyone speaks English), really reading the signs around me when outside, and when shopping to make sure to look up the names of the products I am looking for, and memorize and use them at the market.

Later, we went to our new friend Alissa's apartment. She is a opera singer and conservatory student studying abroad here for a year. She has been here 3 weeks, lives with an Italian girl named Marta. She found her apartment through an Italian apartment finder website for MUCH cheaper than we are paying for her own room. She has spoken nothing but Italiano since she arrived! Sarah and I must find a new apartment in the spring! I plan to find a good deal on wireless Internet today for our apartment, which will help out alot.

Alissa, Sarah, and I all walked to the Welcome Dinner at the Comte's palace(A real Counte's house)! There was SO MUCH wonderful food! I don't think we'll get a dinner as good as that until our parents come visit. Most of the students did not realize there would be dinner, so when the antipasti was brought out, they filled two plates worth. Then when we were full, dinner was announced! We ate on pillows placed on bamboo place mats (to keep us dry from the damp grass) with knee height tables. The grounds were lovely and the Count so interesting!

Comments