"I Love Artigianato!" - Fortezza Da Basso - Firenze

Last semester when I lived on Via Ghibellina, I became close friends with a family that owns a ceramic shop, Keramikos, at the beginning of the street. Almost every day as I’d walk home from school, I’d stop by to chat. Now that I live farther from this part of town, I usually stop by once or twice a week. Stephania is the artist, and she owns the shop. When she is not painting, she is bouncing her adorable son Alberto, who has the most beautiful large blue eyes you’ve ever seen. Her parents often come by to talk and help out. Gilberta, Stephania’s housekeeper from childhood, works in the shop with Stephania everyday; she paints the spoon holders and often the more goofy items.

Gilberta is the closest thing I have to a mother here in Florence, and being with her and the family has made life here so much more meaningful and enjoyable. I will miss them terribly when I go back home. Today, when I stopped by, Gilberta fed me a wonderful panino made of speck (a type of ham) and cheese, and after a long chat, pushed me off to the art fair (with a free ticket) where Stephania was showing her wares.

Mamma and I have gone to at least two art shows every year I can remember. That said, this was the best I’d ever seen! Building after building and floor after floor of handmade clothes, jewelry, leatherware, ceramics, and crafts! There was a floor just for culinary items: cheeses, spreads, breads, wines, and even culinary lessons. There were vendors from India, Africa, Italy, and even North America. There were opera singers, jugglers, a carousel, and many food stands. Artists worked on more items as they waited for prospective buyers. One gentleman in particular painted frescos on walls and then sold them as paintings. Many of his works stemmed from the works of Leonardo Divinci. A wonderful teacher, he explained to me in Italian the significance behind his works (or behind Leonardo’s) and I was enthralled. One of his Madonna paintings was a part of a wider painting in the Uffizi Gallery, which I had seen on a tour with my Religion and Women class. Although Leonardo’s painting is very interesting and filled me with wonder, this man’s painting was much more vibrant and stole my attention. The wave of the grass as the angel landed and the details in the background were simply stunning.

I left four hours later, wishing that I had the time to come for another four hours tomorrow! But my pocketbook might protest! I left with a bag much heavier than when I’d arrived. I treated myself to yet another set of salad fork/spoon, earrings, an anklet, three bell tree ornaments (the cutest I’d seen in a while!), and a small present for my cousin Cy. It was quite an afternoon! Birmingham City Art Show – buck up and attract diversity!!

Comments

Unknown said…
I slipped and told Cy you had him a gift. He smiled !!!! You are so sweet. Wish I had been with you at this art exhibit.