Una Fine Settimana Incredible





The skies were a dismal gray, the air moist and drizzly, and clouds hovered threatening to tip its overflowing buckets onto those below. And I couldn’t have been more excited. My best friend from growing up’s girlfriend, Peyton, was coming to visit me. After graduating with a degree in Geography, Peyton decided to spend a semester in Spain to try to become fluent in Spanish. After trying everything to be able to meet each other somewhere in Spain or Ireland with no luck, Peyton and I planned for her to come and visit me in Florence on what just happened to be her birthday weekend. Her mama and I worked together to plan a surprise scavenger hunt around Florence – exploring Florence from the crest of the Duomo’s cupola to a few hole in the wall restaurants, with cappuccinos and gelatos in between. The weather was the pits - A real downer if I ever saw one, but Miss Peyton brought the sunshine with her.
Our first day was spent roaming Florence’s Central Market, strolling through piazzas, and having our first taste of Grom (only the best gelato in town!). We made our way back home for a siesta, where Sarah, Peyton, and I all enjoyed trading tales and sipping Greek wine. Peyton and I met up with my friend Andrew around eight, dripping wet (Peyton so graciously had shared her umbrella with me, and we were comically matched – each soaked on our outer sides) and ready for a hot, tasty glimpse of Italian cuisine. We ordered aparitivo at Chiuro Scuro and enjoyed lively conversation, virgin Noa Noa’s/ Pina Coladas, pastas, pastries, freshly baked breads, and other culinary delights from the buffet. We all returned to my apartment for a game of Rook and Charlie cake in celebration of Peyton’s birthday. Around two, Peyton and I finally hit the sack, looking forward to a Saturday on the town.

Pastries and cappuccinos started the day off right. After thoroughly devouring our breakfast, we had a blast escaping the rain to wander through the densely packed rooms of the Accademia, stopping for a long 360 gaze at Michelangelo’s David. Then, making our way to the Pointe Vecchio, we stopped for a delicious lunch of “tagliatelle con basilica e salsa pomodoro,” “maltagliate con suca e pecorino,” and tiramisu at Florence’s best traditional Tuscan restaurant Buco del Orafo. After lunch, Peyton and I stopped by my friend Stephania’s ceramic shop to pick up a hand painted spoon rest we’d seen there the day before. As the sun began to peak its head out from behind the clouds, we were climbing the steep winding stairs to the top of the Cupola of the Duomo (over 400 stairs!) The view was worth the effort! Totally different from the green lush view interrupted by the cityscape that can be seen from Piazzale Michelangelo, the view from the Duomo was from the center of Florence itself. From the height we could see every street we’d walked this weekend – the churches, river, restaurants, and statues –a breathtaking 360 degree view of Florence – even covered by angry clouds! After carefully scooting down the precarious stairs and admiring the magnificent paintings in the Cupola, Peyton and I began to make our way home, via the markets. We searched and bargained for Peyton a set of Murano glass earrings and two necklaces. Making it to the apartment just in time before the downpour, Peyton and I joined Sarah for some camaraderie goofing off to a mix of old show choir tunes and oldies. Invigorated, we took off for our late night dinner at CafĂ© Italiano. The Osteria serves only pizza – a selection of three types – Napoleano, Marinara, or Margarita, water/beer/wine, and a slice of cake. Tucked into a corner of the restaurant, we giggled as the pizza man belted out American classic rock and threw pizza dough into the air. Our cutsie looks apparently worked as he gave us a free slice of cake which promptly disappeared!

Morning came around too quickly and Sarah and I were so disappointed to see Peyton go. This weekend has been one of the best weekends that I have had in Florence!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Anna, I had fun all over again reading your report! I'm glad you had a good time showing Peyton a good time! Yours, Carol
Unknown said…
Wish the weather had been sunny, but having your friends there made the clouds (and rain) go away.

Enjoying your posts and I love you. AuntKaren