Beautiful Views, Tasty Fare, and Interesting Conversation




After work on Friday, I accompanied my coworker Imre, a history teacher at the technical school, to Lake Velence. I’d visited Lake Velence once before – I hopped on a train after hearing about the lake and all its beauty. I got off a few stops earlier than the stop listed on my ticket (per an acquaintance’s suggestion) and did not end up seeing the most beautiful part of the lake. Instead I enjoyed reading a novel and watching the windsurfers from a blanket on the shore.


This time Imre and I drove to Velence, stopping first at a lookout point far above Budapest and Székesfehérvar. Thatched roofs dotted the landscape, and from my perch atop a bench, I could see farmland to my left and lake homes to my right. The view rivaled that of Italy and Ireland – absolutely breathtaking. I didn’t know that people still had thatched roofs! What a quaint surprise.


We descended the hill, my hair blowing in the breeze, and chatted about Hungarian history as we completed a round about the lake. I was so excited to see wake boarders and skiers riding a cable around the lake. I’d thought that the law barring motorboats would make me unable to ski, so this cable was a thrilling find – I can’t wait to try it, but at the same time, I’m a little worried that coming up out of the water by boat is totally different that jumping off a pier with a cable!


Our grumbling tummies brought us to a local lake café that served the traditional Hungarian dish langós, a fried bread similar to a funnel cake (but savory) and topped with cheese and sour cream. I also ordered my favorite Hungarian pancakes (more like American crepes, known as palacsinta, filled with turos (yummy cheese curd) – this crepe wasn’t as good as the famous Budapest all-nighter crepes, but delicious none-the-less. And I was incredibly proud of my self – I ordered in Hungarian! “Kérek egy langós!”


The night was a good one – beautiful views, tasty fare, and interesting conversation.


PS: The photo was taken in Székesfehérvar – I could have kicked myself for not having my camera at Lake Velence – but it was rainy!

Comments

Mema said…
Sounds beautiful, Anna. I almost felt like I was looking at it myself. You describe things so vividly !! NOTICE; I said ALMOST felt like I was there. I'm sure it was so much more beautiful than I could imagine !!! Love you,
Mema
Anonymous said…
Hmm, I'm concerned about my Anna and jumping off a pier with a cable without our Tony at the helm -- you be careful in all your adventures and make sure your drivers are safe! Love you.
Mommie
Anonymous said…
Anna... you mind your mother !!! And keep the post 'a-coming' !! LOVE YOU ! Aunt Karen