Diving into Teaching: Day Two

“It’s the Ladies Choice! Bum Bum Ba Da Dum!!” I jammed out to show tunes and old NSYNC albums as I walked towards Teleki Blanka for my first day at the liberal arts magnet school. When I entered the building, the cute little old guard grinned at me and spoke ninety-to-nothing in Hungarian (he’s determined that will help me learn!) I jogged up the stairs in my pink tennis shoes, black crepe skirt, and pink sweater to the teachers’ workroom, where I quickly changed shoes, wrote down the room numbers to my classes, and was given a tour of where I’d be teaching.

I was very pleased with my first class of the day. I entered. They all stood. “You may be seated.” Man! I feel like a pastor! Ha. Since the men don’t usually stand when women enter the room anymore (chivalry, gentlemen, come on!) – I have to get my fix here in Hungary as a teacher. The students were quiet and answered when I asked questions – they couldn’t have been a better class!

My next class was observed by the English Department head, Emese, and my mentor Erzi’s daughter (who is getting her masters in teaching right now). It was a class of ninth graders who had been attending this special school (the best in Szekesfehervar if not in Hungary) since the seventh grade. Many of the girls had read all of the Twilight series in English. Cha Ching! We have a connection. And man, am I impressed?! The last book was pretty difficult, I would imagine, for foreigners to understand. We played get to know you games, and I once again asked what the class thought of Americans and I heard answers such as:

“They are a special people and I’d love to visit some day.”

And

“They have Indians!!”

Haha! One boy was obsessed with Native Americans and couldn’t believe his luck when I said I was part Indian. When the class finished, Emese said she didn’t think that she’d need to sit in to ensure discipline – that I had a special gift with highschoolers! Wow! That made my day! Maybe I can do this teaching gig!

My friend Zita sealed in the goodness of the day for good when she helped me secure an internet stick. Now I have internet access wherever I go in Hungary for about $30 a month.

Comments