Valentine's Versute!

Versute: Ver*sute, an adjective meaning crafty; wily; cunning; artful.

Crafty! Wily! Were we ever! Taylor's boyfriend Jake messaged me a month before Valentine's Day to find out how flowers could be sent all the way to Hungary. We decided that the best bet for arranging a Valentine's Day surprise for Taylor would be for me to go by my favorite florist here in Hungary and order flowers to be delivered to Taylor on Valentine's Day ala Jake.

Easier said than done! My sweet florist does not speak English! All I could manage was "I like these, yes! And these! Mmm hmm! Igen, Igen! Those - NEM!" I meant to give the florist a choice of flowers in multiple colors - not necessarily a list of the flowers that should be in the arrangement... So after a few telephone calls for translations, much pointing and ado, I picked out an arrangement for my sweet roomie. I left the shop a little worried that my mad gesturing skills didn't convey everything...

A buzz awoke me on Valentine's Day.... flowers! And no card! Jake's card didn't make it in time. "Quick!" I thought... make a card! As I crouched in the corner cutting out hearts, hoping Taylor didn't awaken, who comes in the living room? Taylor, of course. "Flowers! Your parents sent you flowers?"

"Mmm. No."

"You have a secret admirer?"

"Uh, no."

(Taylor at this point is thinking..."What a grouch! Guess she doesn't want to talk about the flowers!")

Phew! The card was finished...a little too late. I set it under the flowers and waited for Taylor to return to the room....

"For me! They're for me!! How sweet!!"

Cha Ching! A versute success!

Valentine's Day didn't pass me by either! Mama, Daddy, and Luke sent me a package full of goodies! When the package arrived on Friday, I tore through the halls of Széchenyi, grinning for all to see. When I opened the box, it was Christmas all over again! Hobo gloves, spices, sugar-free York Peppermint Patties, Tuscan herb gardens, and the cutest handmade apron you ever did see! Mommy made it out of our curtains from the old house - what a treasure! I wore it around the school - even taught class in it! What do people give for Valentine's in America? - Aprons, of course!

Comments

Anonymous said…
How Cute !!!! You are such a treasure.
Love you. Aunt Karen