Blessings For A New Home

I was truly blessed this morning. My prayers for a church home and family were realized beyond my wildest imagination.

I entered the English Speaking United Methodist Church of Vienna (www.esumc.at) with a deep abiding hope to find there a church home as I’d had at St. James American Episcopal Church in Florence, Italy. Yet, I doubted any church I found could be half as fulfilling.

It is with great joy and awe that I write – God proved me wrong! The sanctuary full of friendly members, smiling from the heart, welcomed me. Its congregation greeted me. A bright vivacious pastor noticed me immediately.

“Hi! I’m Laura. Oh! You’re from Alabama? I was born there! And we have another au pair from Alabama, where is she? We’ve quite a few Southerners here!”

The au pair from Alabama, also Laura, is from Fairhope and has the singing voice of an angel. We exchanged information immediately as we both were looking for new friends.

Throughout the service and afterward, I was warmly welcomed and felt a genuine excitement from the congregation. I received invitations to young adult groups and choirs, coffee and hikes.

The fellowship and thought-provoking sermon lured my heart, giving me the assurance that I’d found a venue to make Vienna home. And if that’s not enough – I’ve found another church with a library of romance novels. God works in mysterious ways!

I look forward to a year of hugs, encouragement, fellowship, friendship, and love. Thanks be to God for my new church home.

PS: I send great thanks to Vestavia Hills United Methodist Church of Birmingham, Alabama for its great support of Vienna’s Methodist Church – without its support, ESUMC wouldn’t be here for me!

Comments