Living in two worlds at once


A whirlwind summer, full of joyful reunions and love, both old and new has come to an end. I’ve said my goodbyes and boarded the plane, blue, yet excited for my next adventure. My music is a bit angsty, foreshadowing my first few days in a new, but in its own way, familiar environment. I’m leaving the land of boats and water-skiing, bowl-sized cappuccinos, refillable drinks, hugs, Southern charm and chivalry, arriving in the land of great history, breathtaking buildings, tiny coffees and no refills, public transit, and cheek kisses.

My experience has taught me that my psyche needs 1-2 weeks to transition between my two worlds: To shift from the fast-paced, consumer-driven, quick-fix, individualized society of the US to the slower-paced, socialized, patient society of Europe.

Everything is different. My schedule, my routine, the food I eat, the sights I see, what I’m accustomed to. I have two homes, two halves of a whole –my wandering soul and my Southern heart. Someday, I hope they’ll coincide. But until then, I’ll continue to live in two worlds at once.

Comments

Unknown said…
Aw sweetheart, this is lovely :) I'm so glad that you are back home!
xox
Fanni