Just Like Thelma and Louise





Watch out Sicily! Anna and Antonietta have taken the Vespa out for a spin. Antonietta and I woke up this morning, enjoyed our breakfast of biscotti, peaches, and cafĂ© lattes in the sunshine, and then grabbed our helmets and giggled as we hopped on Nonno Gino’s white vespa and sped away to visit Nonna Theresa.

I’d begged and pleaded with Francesco to learn how to drive (“It’s not like it’s a “real” motorcycle – it’s automatic! It’s a scooter! I can drive a manual car!”) Like, my Uncle Frank, Francesco is protective of me. He didn’t like the idea at all as he was afraid I’d fall. But I found a co-conspirator and believer in Antonietta and we smiled at the idea of over-protective daddies and falling as the wind ruffled our hair. We honked as we pulled into Nonna Theresa’s, laughing and having a ball. I felt just like a movie star in my little mini skirt and off-the-shoulder blouse…and as I swung my leg off the back of the Vespa the skirt limited my movement. I promptly fell into the plants and landed on the cobblestones in a heap of giggles.

Antonietta and I enjoyed a morning chat with Nonna Theresa, and I tried her freshly made lemon granite – quite the refreshing treat in the heat of the morning! We enjoyed our ride back to the house together, feeling free and empowered, just like Thelma and Louise! I made it off the Vespa in style, managing not to fall on any potted plants this time – what a pro :-p

Antonietta and I grabbed Alberto to take some pictures of our adventure. I hopped on the Vespa alone to pose. The bike was parked and stationary – the purr of the motor could not be heard by a soul. I proceeded, with great intelligence, to put both feet on the platform and attempt to balance so that I could seem like I was driving in my photo. What luck I had on my cute silver helmet. Unlike Lena in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants who learned so quickly with a cute boy by her side, I promptly fell with the Vespa on top on me in the street, on my shoulder. What made me think I can balance on a scooter when you can’t do the same on a bicycle (and I don’t even really ride those!), I don’t know. But I still can’t wait to learn….perhaps when I can move my shoulder and arm again I’ll find me a tall dark and handsome guy to teach me!

Unfortunately, my protective papa heard my crash – his fears had been realized and I didn’t even start the motor! We hopped in the car, me in the back with the Cocker Spaniel (off to have his first experience fathering babies!), with the worried eyes of Francesco on me in the rearview mirror. Gelato is always the best medicine – we stopped and got my last Sicilian gelato (in a brioche, of course!) of the year and made our way to the airport.

Antonietta and I stood in line, talking of everything from the lady beside us with an impressive set of drooping boobs, the touristic nuns, and our love for one another. Leaving her and Francesco was as hard as leaving my own family, but I look forward to being in the arms of my Mama and Daddy tomorrow – as the heat of Atlanta turns my clothes into a second skin. Thanks for the preparation, Sicily! I just wish I could have stayed a bit longer – but summer will be here again before I know it and I’ll be back in the land of love and pasta again! Love y’all so much!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Grace - was it inherited from me? :-)
Mama