Candy Bars at Twilight


Streamers hung from the rafters in a mass of colored paper that draped the school room. Our colleagues rushed in and out of the room, their traditional Hungarian dresses swishing against their dancing slippers as they gathered together to practice the opening dance. A myriad of desserts began to appear upon the tabletops as people arrived carrying multiple outfits, formal wear and costumes, to change into as the night’s festivities transformed.

Taylor felt a bit conspicuous dressed as all the Hungarians’ favorite candy bar, Turo Rudi, as no one else was in costume yet, but we sat down at our table and began to sample all of the Hungarian favorites surrounding us. Chocolate covered chestnut cream and sour cherry balls, coconut sprinkled chocolate squares, cheese straws, and icing filled cookie clusters were among our favorite treats! My friend Robbie came as my date, slipping in a little late dressed to the nines as Count Dracula. His face was shimmery white and he looked a bit like Heath Ledger’s Joker in the latest Batman movie! Taylor, Robbie and I entered the costume contest along with some teachers who dressed up as DINA (the electronic grade book), a biker, a hobo (this one was the best!), a witch, and a Greek goddess.

A live band brought our contest to a close and began the night of dancing. The room was filled with colleagues and their spouses – the majority of whom were over 35 – who certainly knew how to throw a party! Everyone danced – and could those Hungarian men dance!! As we took the floor, a spritely older gentleman with a waxed mustache stole me away from Robbie to swing me around the dance floor. I’ve never danced so hard in my life! As the room spun around me, my laughter echoed throughout the room.

Smiles, laughter, and dancing reined, keeping us on our toes past three am, when the first guests began to trickle out.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
(Deleted the comment I meant to post on the Cabaret blog)
Dancing in Hungary sounds SO much fun -- is it polka type stuff, freestyle? Hard to learn? I would love to enjoy a party like this!